Friday 12 December 2014

City Of God Film Response

I first watched this film last year and after watching it again recently, I remembered as to why it's one of my favourite films of all time.

City Of God is a film that is not only visually stunning, but it also tells a remarkable and also relatively unbelievable story. The gang crime in Brazil was something that I was relatively unaware of before watching this film and I think it does very well to telling to story in an over the top and explicit way. City Of God successfully shocks and horrifies the audience to emphasis the shocking situation in Brazil. It's this reason as to why I think it was so popular in American and here in Europe, because as the audience, we're so shocked and appalled, the only thing we can do is to keep on watching.

From a visual point of view I think it's wonderful. Just take the opening scene as an example, the close-up shots of gruesome scenes set up the audience for the rest of the film and depict a binary opposition within two character, two gangs, a way of life and an inner conflict within the first 5 minutes.

This film has been a favourite of mine for a long time and I'm pretty glad that I'm having the opportunity to study it in an in-depth level - High recommended film!


No comments:

Post a Comment