Sunday 10 November 2013

A Rant About 3D And A Review On Gravity (2013)

Despite my best attempts to enjoy 3D films... I've always hated them. I've always felt like they were a silly after thought after making a film, and a "decent" excuse for my local cinema to charge £10.20 to watch a load of pop-up book style rubbish in which invariable gives me headache... And I thought this about every film... Until Gravity (2013).

Yesterday, I made the brave jump into the land of 3D and watched Gravity, after hearing Mark Kermode's opinion, who is a 3D hater like me, of it the previous Friday; and long story short, it was brilliant and genuinely stunning. Every shot in the entire film looked incredibly realistic and the way that they used long-shot to close up shot to evoke emotion was sublime.

It opened with the title 'Gravity' on the screen and a huge crescendo of sound and almost white noise that built up louder, and louder, to an almost unbearable decibel and then quickly cut to deafening silence. Throughout the film, the simple use of sound was probably the best I've ever heard and a true pioneering example of most musician's moto... The rest and silence has to be louder then the note.

There was an incredibly interesting theme of 're-birth' and the protagonist, Ryan Stone, played by Sandra Bullock, being re-born in space and how the space shuttle became so much of a sign of saftey that it became a womb-like place. It also showed the very clever progression of Ryan Stone as a character, from a panicing child/baby into a confident woman that looked as if she could conquer the world with some cleverly used low-angle shots.

Despite a predicable plot, kudos to George Clooney, who's performance was fantastic, as always. I must admit, i've never been a big Sandra Bullock fan and never really regarded her as a proper actress, however, after this performance and fully watching and noticing her acting... She was incredible, absolutely incredible.

Fantastic film that i would highly recommend to anyone, especially film studies students. I wouldn't say it's completely changed my view on 3D, however, I think that this is the first that has ever used it to it's true potenial, and more impotantly, made a visual pleasure, instead of a 3D indused headache.

Gravity (2013) 9/10 - Brilliant!

No comments:

Post a Comment